In general, you really can't expect to retain CDATA unless you build a
DOM tree, and maybe not then. It's a fundamental principle of XML that
CDATA isn't part of 'the infoset' -- the data that is represented by
the file. A parser is under no obligation to faithfully report this
stuff, so long as the right text ends up in the right place.

However, forget xpp3 and all that ancient lumber. Use Woodstox, or the
Xerces DOM, and you can probably find enough options to ask it to do
what you need.

yeah, that's basically what I was afraid I'd be left with...in other words, no quick and easy solution, but basically a reinvention of the model reader with a lot of extras.