Just to confirm what Jason said. The code in question is [1] and from
our testing, decentxml provides perfect read-write roundtrip without
loosing any formatting anywhere in the document, including cdata,
comments, whitespaces, etc, and with no special effort on our part.

[1] https://github.com/sonatype/sonatype-tycho/tree/master/tycho-release/tycho-versions-plugin/src/main/java/org/eclipse/tycho/versions/pom

Igor