This is what I have in mind:
1) Have a new packaging type which indicate that this is an installable
application. Pom file for such apps can include things like description,
display name, icon file, location to put application launchers, type of
application (desktop app, mobile app, online app(?), GUI based/command line
etc)..
2) Create a maven goal to search configured repositories using criteria
specified in options (packaging type, artifact id, wildcard text search in
description etc). This function is useful on its own and in this case can
be used to search installable applications in repository.
3) Create a maven goal to install app. This will read pom description and
create application icons etc (this function will depend on platform and
will do whatever is required for current platform. Like for Linux it can
create .desktop files in specific directories or for Windows it can create
shortcuts in start menu.). This goal can also generate command line to
launch the application including all dependencies in classpath. This way
maven itself will not be required to launch the app but will still use
repository (as suggested by Brett).
4) Once the command line tools are available, a nice GUI wrapper can be
provided to search repositories for installable apps and install and
uninstall apps.

This way maven repositories can also serve the function of app store and I
think it won't require too much effort as all the hard work is already done.

Deepesh

PS: Couldn't find a way to reply to this thread so subscribed to the list
and fetched the thread by mailing to
dev-thread.100...@maven.apache.org(Where can you find this message id?
I had to kind of guess it). Apologies
if this mail looks ugly and doesn't link to original thread.