On Sat, Apr 28, 2012 at 11:06 AM, Hilco Wijbenga
<hilco.wijbe...@gmail.com>wrote:

>  On 27 April 2012 17:51, Chris Graham <chrisgw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sat, Apr 28, 2012 at 7:04 AM, Hilco Wijbenga <
> hilco.wijbe...@gmail.com>wrote:
> >

> >> Actually, I've been working on a Maven extension that uses checksums
> >> to determine whether a particular project needs to be rebuilt (taking
> >> all its dependencies into account). We are currently using a Bash
> >> script for that purpose. It simply invokes Maven for each project that
> >> needs to be (re)built but, obviously, doing this from Maven directly
> >> is much easier, faster, and more reliable.
> >>

> > Use Hudson/Jenkins for this, that's what I use.
>
> This is for local development. The build server isn't in the picture
> yet. It would not be smart to have the build server skip parts of the
> build anyway.

No, that's not true. If the project build resolution is deterministic, ie
it will always result in the same build result. This is good or standard
SCM practice.

Jenkins fingerprinting (not that I've used that one much) or M2 job type
(that I have almost always used) dependency analysis does exactly this.

However, by definition, a release build, would (and should) result in a
full build.

-Chris