The only thing I might suggest is that you create a hybrid scanner that can
deal with the old and new. It looks like you've already looked at [1], but the
hybrid scanner is here[2].

The only thing I would like to sync up on is a couple changes I want to make to
the plugin manager to make sure the current plugin packaging, the plugin
packaging you're making and the plugin packaging I'm working on in Tesla all
work together without conflicting. Anyone should theoretically be able to make
a toolchain and allow users to take advantage of whatever they wish, this
wouldn't work right now but I'll prepare the necessary patches for review.  I
am trying to create a more holistic approach to plugins for incremental
processing, seamless integration in m2eclipse (write a plugin using the Tesla
Plugin API and no need for a configurator), in the Tesla Shell and non-Maven
tools.

I'll ping you when you're closer to being done and we can work on the plugin
manger changes together.

[1]: https://github.com/etesla/tesla-plugin-api
[2]:
https://github.com/etesla/tesla-plugin-api/tree/master/tesla-plugin-tools-api/src/main/java/org/sonatype/maven/plugin/tools/java5/gleaner