Again, let's deal with this one thing at a time:

1. Use slf4j-api as our primary facade/api for loggin in Maven. I'm in
favor, because it's much more common and popular than plexus.

2. Picking an slf4j-X to deliver logging to somewhere. I'm somewhat in
favor of java.util.logging for this, because of the baroque classpath
interactions of log4j initialization. But if others prefer log4j or
even something else, OK.

3. Tossing one or more X-slf4j bridges into the default plugin
classpath. If Mark's concerns about surprises have any foundations in
technical reality, this is where they would turn up. I'm doubtful, but
on the other hand, what if we just didn't do this, and left it to
individual plugin authors to do this if, in fact, they wanted mapping
from some other logging API?

It would be good for some others to join this discussion.