Benson, it's a pity that this happened to you, and I blame it on some plugin
bug which should get fixed. Forcing a maven upgrade just because something is
buggy is not a serious option. It's ok for well intended new features, but not
if it's just a matter of a bug.

And knowingly breaking tons of existing builds is not an option neither imo.
And this is what Jasons commit did. And it was not even a commented feature
commit but a 'side effect' of the (btw broken as well afaik) @Inject enabling
commit. This would be a nightmare for thousands of company users which are not
allowed to update their build infrastructure that easily.

To short version: the current trunk is broken and there is no benefit by
exposing slf4j in the near future.

The slightly longer version:

Any builds with a plugin dependency on slf4j < 1.6 is broken with the current
trunk and will blow up. Even Ceki admitted that.

There is a possible fix by isolating all plugins which provide slf4j logging
themself. But then those plugins will NOT use mavens slf4j logging anymore but
their own. So for all those plugins the slf4j provided by maven is useless.

And if a plugin uses slf4j for logging and does NOT provide an own slf4j
backend, then it will be broken with _all_ already existing maven versions. And
there is not even a migration path between those 2 modes.

If we expose the slf4j api now, then you would need to wait approximately 2
years before any plugins can start using it. 2 years is a long time in the
computer industry...

Again, this has _nothing_ to do with slf4j! I would also be -1 for exposing
commons-logging, log4j or any other existing logging framework which could
exist

in user plugins! They just introduce classloader problems alltogether.

The only framework which might be ok would java.util.logging. Yea jul sucks as
hell and if used badly it creates permgen issues and other side effects. But at
least it doesnt create class clashes.

The best we could do is to provide a maven.plugin.Logger backend for slf4j.

LieGrue,
strub