On 2012-11-13 21:38, Jason van Zyl wrote:
> This is a long-standing issue, but I think a document and standard has
> emerged that I think is reasonable. How do people feel about trying to adhere
> to:
>
> http://semver.org
>
> and moving toward using this as our standard versioning documentation?

SemVer is good. We moved from Apache commons versioning guidelines to
Semver 1.0.0 @work a while back.

We added one exception though, and that is one that we might want to add
here as well: we don't require Z if Z == 0. So instead of 2.2.0 you are
allowed to use 2.2. For Maven core we have followed SemVer strictly, but
most of our other components omit Z if it is 0, which it often if.

SemVer 1.0.0 is simpler than 2.0.0-rc.1 in that it does not cover
pre-releases or build numbers. Our current model sort of covers
pre-releases, but it doesn't cover build numbers very well.

--
Dennis Lundberg