Jason van Zyl wrote:

> This is a long-standing issue, but I think a document and standard has
> emerged that I think is reasonable. How do people feel about trying to
> adhere to:
>
> http://semver.org
>
> and moving toward using this as our standard versioning documentation?

Well, it sounds nice, but look at Apache commons and you'll see that it
fails in practice regarding X. If we had gone from
org.apache.commons:commons-lang:2.2.1 to org.apache.commons:commons-
lang:3.0.0 we would have been all into jar hell. Therefore a change in X in
Apache commons means new artifactId and new package name (if we cannot
provide compatible APIs) to allow 2.x and 3.x version to be used side-by-
side (in classpath and as dependency).

Just my 2¢,
Jörg