On 30 June 2013 19:48, Fred Cooke <fred.co...@gmail.com> wrote:
> For Git the only thing that is needed is the unique 40 character hash such
> as this:
>
> FreeAir:youtube-dl fred$ git rev-parse HEAD
> 48bfb5f2387ab47e1973d9db0782a9af66ffc4e6

OK, so what is the Git command to download a copy of the sources that
are part of the hash?
Don't I need to know something about the Git repo it comes from?
Or are Git hashes guaranteed to be universally unique?

> It's just sloppy not to do this; if a quality release process is required,
> so is the SVN rev number. If "good enough" is OK, then it can be omitted
> because you can, most of the time, just guess. Guessing = mistakes, though.

Sorry, I have to disagree there; the source reference cannot be
omitted under any circumstances because it's not possible to review
the source release without a reference to the files in SCM. There's no
way to determine provenance otherwise.