On 30 June 2013 23:32, Benson Margulies <bimargul...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On the one hand, I think that, in many Apache communities, comparing the
> source release to the VCS is the exception and not the rule, and may never
> have happened, even once. (I think that there is at least an even chance
> that some crusty veteran of httpd will arrive in this thread and call me
> out on this, insisting that Sebb's view is and has always been the only
> right way, and some neuron in the back of my mind thinks it has seen some
> reference to a tool for comparing source release packages to svn.)
>
> However, I don't see anything _bad_ about supplying an unambiguous,
> immutable, reference to the VCS, and so it would be a good thing if Maven
> helped Apache projects achieve this, rather than make it harder.
>
> So, if everyone here likes this idea, by all means let's do that. On the
> other hand, if there is no consensus here, I wish that the Foundation had a
> clearer venue for discussing global policies like this.

I hope I don't have to argue that it is ASF policy to only release
source files whose provenance is known?

My point is that the only practical way to establish provenance of the
files in a source release is via the VCS/SCM.

The reason the VCS coords need to be in the vote mail message is to
allow a reviewer the opportunity to establish provenence.
This applies for the current vote, and any potential review that might
need to take place in the future.