There are some cases where using auto for function return type deduction is
necessary to be able to state what you want generically in templates, and I
think we should allow that use case. I can ping some friends for good
examples if people would like. Definitely general use of return type
deduction shouldn't happen, but inside templates a lot of the time the code
is a lot simpler, more readable, and easier to maintain when using auto
(Esp. c++14 return type deduction auto), than if a type has to be
hand-deduced.

Also note at times we just can't say what the type is, because it varies in
the template instantiation. See my use in
https://reviews.apache.org/r/25525/diff/,  slaveinfo_utils.cpp where
writing explicit types for memberFunc is really hard if not impossible.