Thanks for sending this Nik!

The general idea of hooks sounds good. I think the question for hooks is
about which extensibility points make sense, and I think we'll have to
assess that with the introduction of each hook.

(1) Is the idea behind hooks about actions, as you initially mentioned? Or
is it about data transformation, which is what is shown in the API example?
Or both?

(2) Is external tooling meant to describe hooks? Or is it meant to describe
external tools that can leverage the hooks? This part is a bit fuzzy to me.

(3) Is instrumentation meant to allow us to gain visibility into things
like performance? If so, hooks might not be the most maintainable approach
for that. Ideally we could add instrumentation into libprocess. Are there
other forms of instrumentation in mind?

Let's take the hook example you showed:

 // Performs an action and/or transforms the TaskInfo.
 virtual TaskInfo preMasterLaunchTask(const TaskInfo& task) = 0;
 virtual TaskInfo postMasterLaunchTask(const TaskInfo& task) = 0;
 virtual TaskInfo preSlaveLaunchTask(const TaskInfo& task) = 0;
 virtual TaskInfo postSlaveLaunchTask(const TaskInfo& task) = 0;

Comment mine. This interface suggests synchronous transformation of
TaskInfo objects:

(A) A transformation of TaskInfo seems a bit surprising to me, how can one
do this generically? Is the idea that this would be customized per
framework within the hook? How would one differentiate the frameworks? Via
role? This part seems fuzzy to me.

(B) I assume this also means that there is a side-effect inducing "action"
that is performed, in addition to the transformation. I wouldn't be able to
do any expensive or asynchronous work through these, unless we made them
return Futures. At which point, we would need some additional semantics
(e.g. ordering), and we'd be adding complexity to the Master.

(C) What differentiates pre and post in this case? Sending the message?
Let's consider that these are responsible for performing "actions". Then
differentiating pre and post seems a bit arbitrary, since the sending of a
message is asynchronous. This means that the "action" occurs after the
message has been handed to libprocess, but not before it is sent to the
socket, not before it is sent over the wire, not before it is received by
the slave, etc. Seems like an odd distinction, no?

Looking forward to hearing more, thanks Nik!

FYI I'm about to go on vacation, so I'm going to be slow at email. :)