Hi All,

I wanted to get your opinion on installing the 3rdparty packages glog,
protobuf, boost and picojson[1] when installing Mesos itself. These
packages are required to build Mesos modules.

Currently, a module write has to manually install these 3rdparty
packages, either system-wide or locally, and update the compilation
flags such as CPPFLAGS to point to the installation which is
error-prone. Further, one might have a system-wide installation with
the wrong package version, causing even more headache.

The proposal here is to install these 3rdparty packages when
installing Mesos. To avoid any conflicts with system-wide or local
installation, we can install them as follows:

${PREFIX}/include/mesos/3rdparty -- for header files
${PREFIX}/<LIBDIR>/mesos/3rdparty -- for library files (LIBDIR can be
lib or lib64 depending upon the installation)

where PREFIX refers to the `--prefix` flag for Mesos configure script.

We would then update `mesos.pc` with the correct flags so that a
module write can simply use `pkg-config` to get all the required
flags.

I have created an issue
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MESOS-4434 to track this.

Best,
Kapil

[1]: picojson is currently installed in ${PREFIX}/include. See