Is the intent to make this generic beyond disks? I can see the
concepts apply beyond volumes, and blocks. Perhaps a generic
Create{generation} -- where larger generation numbers descend from
smaller ones?

I can also see this valuable in networking. My use case is ENIs in
AWS. I would like to have a ResourceProvider that can manipulate ENIs
based on the invocation of the scheduler. Instead of "CREATE_BLOCK"
it'd be CREATE_INTERFACE, with some given options about the ENI,
giving us a raw interface. Subsequently, we would want to do a
CREATE_IPVLAN, as a subinterface that we can assign an actual IP to.
The IPVLAN interface is a descendant of the raw interface, just as
volumes are descendants of block devices.