Hi folks,
During the recent API working group meeting [1], we discussed the release
schedule. This has been a recurring topic of discussion in the developer
sync meetings, and while our official policy still specifies time-based
releases at a bi-monthly cadence, in practice we tend to gate our releases
on the completion of certain features, and our releases go out on a
less-frequent basis. Here are the dates of our last few release blog posts,
which I'm assuming correlate pretty well with the actual release dates:

1.5.0: 2/8/18
1.4.0: 9/18/17
1.3.0: 6/7/17
1.2.0: 3/8/17
1.1.0: 11/10/16

Our current cadence seems to be around 3-4 months between releases, while
our documentation states that we release every two months [2]. My primary
motivation here is to bring our documented policy in line with our
practice, whatever that may be. Do people think that we should attempt to
bring our release cadence more in line with our current stated policy, or
should the policy be changed to reflect our current practice?

If we were to attempt to align with our stated policy for 1.6.0, then we
would release around April 8, which would probably mean cutting an RC
sometime around the end of March or beginning of April. This is very soon!
:)

I'm currently working with Gastón on offer operation feedback, and I'm not
sure that we would have it ready in time for an early April release date.
Personally, I would be OK with this, since we could land the feature in
1.7.0 in June. However, I'm not sure how well this schedule would work for
the features that other people are currently working on.

I'm curious to hear people's thoughts on this, developers and users alike!

Cheers,
Greg

[1] https://docs.google.com/document/d/1JrF7pA6gcBZ6iyeP5YgDG62ifn0cZ
IBWw1f_Ler6fLM/edit#