> On Mar 13, 2018, at 3:58 PM, Greg Mann <g...@mesosphere.io> wrote:
>
> Sure we can use that as a starting point. The basic policy that we
> discussed in the working group was that any public API change should be
> advertised on the developer mailing list. If no concerns are raised after
> several days, then the change could proceed. If concerns were raised, then
> discussion could start on the mailing list and continue in the next meeting
> of the API working group if necessary.
>
> The Traffic Server policy includes a few other concrete details which we
> did not discuss. I'll quote it here to make things easy:
>

> Due to the importance of getting API right, there is a required review
>> process for changes to the Traffic Server API. For every API change, the
>> developer should post a message to the dev@ list that
>>
>>   - references the relevant Github Issue or PR
>>   - explains the motivating problem and rationale
>>   - shows the actual API change itself (ie. API signatures, etc)
>>   - documents the semantics of the proposed API
>>   - notes any ABI or compatibility implicates
>>
>> After a comments period (1 or 2 days), the committer would add the API. If
>> there were any comments or suggestions, then the committer would address
>> those as necessary.
>>
>> New API can be added to experimental.h if the developer believe that it
>> might change after some adoption or implementation experience. APIs
>> intended for experimental.h should still be reviewed on the mailing list.
>> APIs added to experimental.h, or another experimental header, can (and
>> should!) get moved to a frozen and stable include file when appropriate.
>> It's up to the author to propose a promotion to stable on the mailing list,
>> lazy consensus applies here.
>>
>> It is strongly preferable that a new API to be integrated into a sample
>> plugin - giving users a good sample to copy. API documentation and unit
>> tests should be provided as a matter of course.
>>

> I think this is pretty good as-is; replace "Github Issue or PR" with "JIRA
> issue or ReviewBoard patch", and remove the portion about 'experimental.h'
> and what follows.

I’m generally in favor of this. I think that we all try to raise compatibility
and operational issues on the mailing lists, so this seems like a formalization
and extension of that practice. Most of the information needed for an API
proposal would already be captured in a design document, so in the Mesos
context this would be about improving the visibility of changes and widening
the feedback net.

cheers,
James.