Github user nickwallen commented on the issue:

    https://github.com/apache/metron/pull/811

    > I find that extremely confusing as a user of the tool.

    To explain that a bit more (and continuing with that same basic example)...

    As a user I created a meta-alert where the hostname is "ip-addr.es".  Since
I created a meta-alert around that specific hostname, that must be a pretty
important host name.  It is probably something I am investigating right now.

    Now imagine I ask my Tier III to take a look at that weird hostname.  He's
going to do something like this to attempt to find that problematic hostname.

    ![screen shot 2017-10-23 at 4 55 17
pm](https://user-images.githubusercontent.com/2475409/31912962-b1b2b554-b813-11e7-9446-74ce5db07d0d.png)

    It appears that the hostname "ip-addr.es" is completely missing.  It is as
if we lost data.  This is the kind of work flow that I think is very confusing.

---