Github user merrimanr commented on the issue:

    https://github.com/apache/metron/pull/858

    I would love to have a Debugging readme that is even more comprehensive
than just integration tests.  Being able to easily debug is important to me and
I do it all the time.

    I had to do some debugging to convert this test and it was the same process
I have used before.  Just put a break point in your test and run the test in
Debug in Intellij.  Debugging Storm is a different animal and I suspect we
would continue to use LocalCluster.  We would need to ensure the topology
running locally in an IDE would still be able to interact with services in
Docker.  I have successfully done this in the past for each of the topologies.

    The only other case I can think of would be putting breakpoints in code of
services we use (Kafka code for example).  Is that something we want to be able
to do?  I can see some value although I wouldn't think that's a normal thing.

    We could always keep the in memory module and offer a way to start them up
in a separate process.  That way you could still debug everything in Intellij.
I think I would prefer that option over enabling remote debugging in Docker
containers.

    And again, we don't have to use Docker.  We could just move the in memory
stuff outside of the integration tests and add a layer to manage them in
separate processes.  But that means we now have to implement some features
Docker provides us with custom code.

---