So, I'll answer your question with some questions:

   - No matter the data store we use upgrading will take some care, right?
   - Do we currently depend on a RDBMS anywhere?  I want to say that we do
   in the REST layer already, right?
   - If we don't use a RDBMs, what's the other option?  What are the pros
   and cons?
   - Have we considered non-server offline persistent solutions (e.g.
   https://www.html5rocks.com/en/features/storage)?