Github user nickwallen commented on the issue:

    https://github.com/apache/metron/pull/933

    > what are we doing in the current special metron cut of centos 6? I'm not
familiar enough with why we forked to understand what we're possibly giving up
or exchanging by switching to the main centos Vagrant image.

    Sure, I'll try to explain what I remember and justify the change.  Better
to do our due diligence here.

    Back then, we had some issues where the CentOS image would be updated and
our Ansible deployment scripts would no longer work.  A couple times we'd wake
up in the morning with a broken dev environment when we hadn't changed anything
in Metron.

    As I remember it, this was back when we were just getting started.  All of
Metron was deployed via Ansible, different Ansible versions would have
different behaviors and break things, and it was generally a very painful
experience.

    Back then we valued a stable dev environment over more rigorous testing.
The Ansible scripts themselves have always just been a means to deploy Metron
in a dev environment and not necessarily something that we want to support as
part of Metron.  We didn't care all that much if the Ansible scripts didn't
work in all CentOS environments, they are just for our dev environment.

    Fast forward to now and most of the deployment process is part of the
MPack. The MPack is something that we expect our users to actually use in their
own environments.  Today, the MPack is a core part of Metron itself.

    If a patch in CentOS occurs that breaks our MPack, then I definitely want
to know about that.  Given that, today I think we want to prioritize rigorous
testing over a stable dev environment.  And that is why I think we should use
the centos/6 image as it stands.

---