Have you considered creating a feature branch for the effort? This would
allow you to break the effort into chunks, where the result of each PR may
not be a fully working "master-ready" result.

I am sure you guys tackled the work in chunks when developing it, so
consider just replaying those chunks onto the feature branch as separate
PRs.