It is very difficult to do much with Metron on single node Vagrant.  I
think Dave is right in saying that adding slots to Storm is probably just
going to make things worse.  You are probably running out of memory, which
is causing various core services to either die or be killed by the OS. Many
weird, annoying things will happen in this case.  You will lose sleep,
probably lose hair, and may become extremely anti-social.  All have
happened to me.

I would highly advise working on a multi-node cluster like AWS.  If that is
not possible, I would do the following.

1. Edit `metron-deployment/inventory/full-dev-platform/group_vars/all` and
remove everything from the list of `services_to_start` that you do not
absolutely need.  After METRON-466, which was just committed to master this
morning, full-dev and quick-dev will each have their own configuration file
with this setting.  Choose the appropriate one.
2. Spin up a fresh Vagrant deployment.
3. Use `monit summary` and make sure things look as you would expect.  Use
`top` just to make sure there is nothing else unexpected running.
4. Login to Ambari and make sure the core services that you need are all
running and happy.  While in there stop anything you don't need.  For
example, maybe you do not need MR running.
5. Then start-up just the components that you need.

Personally, I start things up from the edge in.

   - Start sensor.  Check that sensor data is hitting the topic.
   - Start parser topology.  Check sensor data is hitting 'enrichments'
   topic.
   - Start enrichment topology.  Check that data is hitting 'indexing'
   topic.
   - etc

--
Nick Allen <n...@nickallen.org>