Going forward, the Demo env and data would have implications for testing as
well ( gold data sets ) etc.

On October 14, 2016 at 09:52:07, Nick Allen (n...@nickallen.org) wrote:

I think based on everyone's input so far, we're describing 4 different
builds/images/tools that would each be intended to run on a standard
Mac/Linux/Windows laptop.

Full Dev - A development environment that performs a full end-to-end
deployment of Metron. This is intended for developers working with
sensors, deployments, or validating how all Metron components interact with
one another.

- Starts from base Linux image
- Installs Hadoop-y components
- Installs Metron
- Installs Sensors
- Nothing started by default

Quick Dev - An environment intended for the developer focusing on the
streaming components of Metron; parsing, enrichment, and indexing.

- Starts from base image of Linux + Hadoop-y components
- Installs Metron
- Installs "data generator" spouts
- Does not install sensors
- Nothing started by default

Demo - An environment intended to introduce new users to Metron. The
environment should go from nothing to plenty of data in the Metron
dashboard in as little "boot" time as possible.

- Starts from a base image including Linux + Hadoop-y + Metron + Data
Generator Spouts pre-installed
- Pre-load Elasticsearch indices so the user has plenty of data to
investigate in the dashboard
- Does not install sensors
- Everything started by default

Storm Local Cluster - Otto suggested some scripts/tooling to make it easy
to launch the core topologies on a local Storm cluster running on the host
OS.

I'd be interested to hear if this works for everyone and how this might
play into the Ambari mpack + RPM based deployment scheme.

On Fri, Oct 14, 2016 at 1:45 AM, Michael Miklavcic <
michael.miklav...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think this may have come up in another PR already (have to look for
it).
> But maybe we could maintain our flexibility in quick-dev by installing
the
> sensors and not starting them until we need them. I think it's useful to
> have a quick "genuine" e2e testing environment that doesn't require
running
> through a full install. I'm also not opposed to extracting the
integration
> test functionality into general purpose data generators.
>
> On Thu, Oct 13, 2016 at 8:31 PM, Nick Allen <n...@nickallen.org> wrote:
>
> > To Jon's point, I think it would be useful to have a Demo box that uses
> > generators to produce 3 or 4 types of telemetry that shows up in the
> Metron
> > Dashboard. This box would be different from Quick-Dev in that
everything
> > starts automatically, so that a user just has to launch it and the
should
> > start seeing data in the Metron Dashboard right away. In fact, we could
> > even pre-load the Elasticsearch indices so that the user has more of a
> > history to mine when using the Demo box.
> >
> > On Thu, Oct 13, 2016 at 2:04 PM, zeo...@gmail.com <zeo...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > +1 Ryan and Otto's comments.
> > >
> > > I also strongly think we need to make a demo environment easier, but
> that
> > > should be different than quick-dev.
> > >
> > > Jon

IDE