*Background*
We have a situation where a portion of code
<https://github.com/apache/incubator-metron/tree/master/metron-sensors/bro-plugin-kafka>
was created for Metron, which is a plugin for a separate open source
project, bro.  The code was separately pushed out by the initial author to
the bro community under the 3-Clause BSD license
<https://github.com/bro/bro-plugins/blob/master/kafka/COPYING>, and
some important
enhancements
<https://github.com/bro/bro-plugins/commit/b9f1f35415cb0db065348da0a5043a8353b4a0a8>
have been made to it in that separate community, which we would like to
include, in addition to some recent changes
<https://github.com/apache/incubator-metron/commit/a2452a25caffdd8c35fd9efe0ed49ce0dd2e3781>
that have been made in the Metron code base as well (i.e. we are not simply
pulling the code down from the external project).  This was discussed
recently
<https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/c92acd125dae05f0537d4505e0254dfa6382ca9f40edba7d2f4c6224@%3Cdev.metron.apache.org%3E>
on the dev mailing list, and we wanted to get some clarification before
moving forward.

*Questions*
1. Is it valid to assume that, as Casey mentioned
<https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/7468692c96ed0cb012ac9014229694ba8edf3a3b3b55d346eec57019@%3Cdev.metron.apache.org%3E>,
these are two separate plugins and we can simply make modifications to our
code base to resolve the current multithreading issue?

2. If we do 1, will this require a line in our LICENSE file as a derivative
work?

Anyone, feel free to correct my historical understanding here - I wasn't
closely involved with the project at the time this all occurred.  Thanks,

Jon
--

Jon