Hi !

Niklas Therning wrote:
Trustin Lee wrote:
Okay.  Then it's time for restructuring. (Excited :)  We have
ftpserver, AHC and Asyncweb.  FtpServer and AsyncWeb are under
sandbox, but I think FtpServer is mature enough to bring it up to the
subproject right away because Niklas G is working on the project and
Niclas Hedman told me it's pretty mature project.

So... I'd like to suggest the following directory structure:

/ - mina - trunk
         - tags
         - branches
  - ahc - trunk
        - tags
        - branches
  - ftpserver - trunk
              - tags
              - branches

Does it make sense, or would you suggest better structure?
I would add some more subprojects :
- http-codec
   - tags
   - branches
   - trunk

(any codec as well)

and I also think it's time to get asyncweb out of sandbox. Sandbox is supposed to be a place where we do experiments, or personal stuff. If Alex wants to work on asyncweb, it may be time to 'wake up' the project and put it back to trunk.

It makes sense I think! Would we still keep codec implementations in subprojects under mina/ (like filter-codec-http)?
I think that each codec should have its own sub-project, with its own versioning scheme. There is no reason why it should depend on MINA in any way, except through a dependency.

This is a dangerous approach which will be a real problem when protocol's codecs will flourish, as you will have difficult time synchronizing all of them when you will want to release a new MINA version.
I think that's a nice separation. It would be great if the codec parts of ftpserver could be separated from its use in ftpserver and become filter-codec-ftp. Is that doable?
Sure !

I think it would be very cool if MINA could be a repository for codec implementations like this and I think that has been your intention from the very start Trustin, right? We (Trillian AB) would be willing to contribute initial (and in some areas incomplete) codec implementations for POP3, SMTP and IMAP. I know there are others out there using MINA for various types of mail servers and clients. Together we could build complete and very usable implementations for these protocols.
Codecs should be seen as plugins, and should have there own life, and own versioning scheme.

Does it make sense to you, guys ?

cordialement, regards,
directory.apache.org