Alex and all,

I understand and respect your concern about MINA project as a PMC
member of the project.

We had to have discussed about these issues earlier.  Late is better
than never, so let me clarify something.

* We should not force any subprojects to strip any existing server
down to a protocol codec which is tightly coupled with the MINA
network framework.  If we provide a protocol codec for a standard
protocol, then it should be something written from scratch, donated,
or something extracted to be reusable from an existing project after
proper discussion.

=> The HTTP codec is *not* part of MINA core at all.  We can always
assemble it back into AsyncWeb within an hour, because it was just
almost renaming packages of some classes since it was imported into
sandbox.  What matters is how individual components under MINA project
are versioned, and that's why we are discussing about restructuring.
So, please stop making incorrect assumptions that MINA will be another
Jakarta or MINA will swallow existing products anymore.  (yeah you
already have stopped I guess, but I hope you don't overreact again
later and I don't want to overreact, either.)

* As discussed in a separate thread, we will reorganize our project
and move existing codecs (or stand-alone server like FtpServer) out of
MINA and provide them as subprojects so it grows up and up and form
the community.  The optimal directory layout will be discussed
further.  The new directory layout should be scalable enough to
support graduation of those projects, like the Directory project did
for MINA, for sound and sustainable growth of the foundation. - I
think peter's proposal is the best so far and it seems like others
like it, too.

=> However, I'd like to express my disappointment on the premature
exaggeration of the current situation of the project in this thread,
especially considering that the community already started to discuss
to find the solution that addresses everyone's concern.  Please be
more careful and double check your mail box before posting something
important.

* In case of donation, IP clearance should be done as soon as possible
to provide smooth import path to the community who donates the code.
It's every PMC member's duty to do his/her best to accelerate this
process such as by filling the IP clearance form in cooperation with
each other.

=> We are all responsible for the IP clearance process.  All PMC
members need to learn the IP clearance process so it's taken care of
even if the PMC chair is overwhelmed or distracted by other issues.
Especially, if there's someone who has an experience with IP
clearance, he or she has to do the best to mentor other PMC members,
instead of just sitting down and looking at the clearance process
being delayed like AsyncWeb did.

The same rule applies to votes.  Please keep in mind that I (PMC
chair) am not the only one who starts a vote.  Everyone has one's
right to start a vote.  So far, in MINA project, I was almost always
the only one who started a vote, especially for new releases.  Now
this convention should be changed and I encourage everyone to start a
vote for something, including a new release.  I expect the number of
the votes started by other person than me will increase as we
reorganize the project, and that will eventually lessen my burden -
which is great.

This year, we will experience a lot of change in this project and see
more adoption.  I have been committing almost 90% of code recently and
it's not the exact situation I wanted to see in 2008.  We need to keep
nurturing the community, and continue to evolve in a healthier way,
and it's not up to me but up to every committer and every person in
this mailing list.  Are you guys ready to rock!?

Cheers,
Trustin
http://gleamynode.net/
--