Hi,

as I'm looking deeply into the impact on the code of the new chain proposals, I'm looking at the events we are handling.

In the following list, I have sorted all the events in two categories : incoming and outgoing events. Incoming events are those received from the clients, outgoing events are those emitted by the server.

Here is the list of those events :

SESSION_CREATED : An incoming event.
SESSION_OPENED : Seems to me to be a duplication of the previous event. An incoming event.
SESSION_CLOSED : An incoming event.
MESSAGE_RECEIVED : Clearly an incoming event.
MESSAGE_SENT : IMHO, useless. Must disappear.
SESSION_IDLE : Questionable. But if we keep it, should be considered as an incoming event. EXCEPTION_CAUGHT : Interesting ... IMO, an incoming event too. Even if generated during a write operation (or while processing a Write event), it's applied to the session.incomingChain so that all the filters can handle it. The question is : should we also propagate this event through the outgoingChain ?
WRITE : Outgoing event.
CLOSE : Not sure what this event is used for. We already have a SESSION_CLOSED, I'm wondering if it's not a duplication. SET_TRAFFIC_MASK : Seems to be used nowhere. It appears to have been created to handle custom events. I suggest that we ignore this event, unless someone has a clear vision on how to use it and why.

Did I forgot anything important?

cordialement, regards,
directory.apache.org