Le 7/16/13 10:34 AM, Steve Ulrich a écrit :
>> sebb [mailto:seb...@gmail.com] wrote:
>>
>> On 21 May 2013 10:02, Steve Ulrich <steve.ulr...@proemion.com> wrote:
>>> 2 Reasons for 7.0:
>>> 1) When MINA 3 is released, Java 8 is near or already released
>>> 2) Developers who don't want to upgrade to Java 7 because of the
>> (testing, developing, whatever) effort won't upgrade to MINA 3 either.
>>
>> I don't think that's generally true.
>> If MINA is part of a larger system, then updating Java as well as MINA
>> is a lot more work and testing than just updating MINA.
>> Especially if the system is installed on multiple nodes which may have
>> different hardware and configs.
> Java 6's public EOL is due,

Java 6 EOL : Feb 2013
(http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/eol-135779.html)

It's not due, it's already dead ;-)
> but commercial support is still there until 2016.
Dec 2016. Most of our users will not pay for a commercial support, I'm
afraid :-)

> From a commercial side it doesn't make much sense to put effort (and money)
> in a MINA 3 upgrade for only 2 years (MINA 3 release + development time and
> you're are likely in the middle of 2014).
> Besides a MINA 3 designed for Java 7 could bring much more efficiency and
> some new features.

+1

> What is the downside of sticking to an existing and stable MINA 2 until you
> are ready to upgrade to Java 7? You'll have to test your application with
> Java 7 nonetheless - a new MINA won't hurt much on testing efforts.
> Downside for devs: MINA 2 needs to be supported a little longer.

We will maintain MINA 2 for some more time. There are not so much effort
to be put on this version anyway. (if we except the documentation...)

> Given a longer development time I would even suggest using Java 8. But it
> will be most likely too cutting-edge for most needs.

I'm not really sur Java 8 brings a lot of interesting features for MINA
(Which is not the case for Java 7)

> btw: is there a current roadmap or target for MINA 3?

Julien is trying hard to cut a first milstone, and is struggling with
N&L files... I feel for him :-)