Le 18/07/2014 11:23, Bernd Fondermann a écrit :
> On 18.07.14 00:35, Emmanuel Lécharny wrote:
>> Le 17/07/2014 23:34, Bernd Fondermann a écrit :
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> just wanted to add my 2 eurocent, don't know if it really makes sense
>>> in the discussed context.
>>>
>>> In Vysper, a state machine is maintained which tracks the connection
>>> status between connected, started, authenticated, encrypted, etc.
>>> Depending on the connection state, Vysper will reject messages which
>>> are not applicable at this point in time.
>>> This is due to the fact that the XMPP spec is pretty strict in terms
>>> of specifying error conditions when a message comes in which is not
>>> allowed at this stage, requiring to shut down a connection when
>>> messages are out of order. The same is applicable to outgoing
>>> messages, to shield the user from doing stupid things.
>>> The general goal is to rigorously protect against attacks by
>>> undermining the normal handshake flow, which is hard enough anyway.
>>> I'd always opt for being as strict as possible.
>>
>> The SSLEngine itself uses a state-machine to handle the various states.
>> But from the SSL protocol point of view, it's quite simple, we have
>> three different cases :
>> - SSL is not activated
>> - SSL is being negociated (and we have various internal states, but
>> nothing can be exchanged but handshake messages during this phase)
>> - SSL is activated
>>
>> The difficulty is to manage the transitions between those three states,
>> and as we have two sides (the server and the client), which aren't
>> necessarily in sync (we don't always know when the client will send a
>> handshake request, or some data : it really depends on the procotol
>> being implemented), we can't impose anything.
>>

> ok, I see. So my post didn't really add anything substantial to the
> discussion, I guess. Sorry for the noise.

It's not noise. Here, the key point is to distinguish between the
protocol layer, and teh SSL layer.

In MINA 2, SSL was part of the filter chain, which leads to some huge
problems (like for instance, re-handshake is not working).

Having the SSL protocol handled at the filter level means it's *part* of
your own protocol (you have to deal with the various SSL States).

In MINA 3, we decided to move the SSL handling at the network layer to
avoid such issues.