>>  I've ran into an issue whereby my SSHD cannot bind to any port!
>> Have you by chance ever seen this issue before?

No, does not ring a bell

>>   I don't believe for one moment it is the mina-sshd code

Neither do I

>> Hopefully it is something obvious that I'll spot soon.

Perhaps some kind of security related issue - I am  not a Windows guru, but
I do seem to remember that (like Linux)  you can impose restrictions on who
can bind to which ports. Perhaps you need to grant the java.exe executable
correct access rights. I do remember that every time I install  a new Java
version on a Windows machine and try to  run it I get a pop-up window
asking me whether I wish to grant access to the network to java.exe ...