Hi!

this is an interesting development in Java, the addition of Virtual Threads [1] through project Loom [2].

This may impact MINA significantly, as we may simply use the new IO system [3] to leverage those virtual threads, simplifying the underlying implementation (bottom line: one sessions <-> one VT).

There is a synthetic description in this page [4], worth reading.

I don't know when we would expect this proposal to be integrated in Java, but we could expect something available around Java 15 or 16, for a final release in the LTS Java 17. A early-access version is already available [5].

I wonder if this would be something we want to invest time beforehand, just to be ready when Loom get available.

wdyt ?

[1] https://wiki.openjdk.java.net/display/loom/Differences+between+regular+Threads+and+virtual+Threads

[2] https://wiki.openjdk.java.net/display/loom

[3] (https://wiki.openjdk.java.net/display/loom/Networking+IO)