Hi Kellen,

Here is my opinion and stand on this:

I see no need to test on CUDA8 in Apache MXNet CI, especially when CUDA9 is
backward compatible with earlier Nvidia hardware generations. There is time
and resources cost to maintaining the various combinations in the CI and so
I am NOT in favor of running CUDA8 in CI unless there is a technical
reason/requirement for it. This approach helps to encourage users to move
to the latest CUDA version and thus keep the open-source community’s
maintenance cost low for the generic option of CUDA9.

For example: If a user opens a github issue/problem with Apache MXNet and
CUDA8, I would ask the user to test it with CUDA9. If the problem happens
only on CUDA8, then a volunteer in the community may work on it. If the
problem happens on CUDA9 as well, then, in my humble opinion, and this
problem must be fixed by the community. In short, I propose that the MXNet
CI run tests only with latest CUDA9 version and NOT CUDA8.

I am eager to hear alternate viewpoints/corrections from folks other than
Kellen and me.

Bhavin Thaker.