Eric,

while you may not be, most people are using some sort of
crappy-JIRA-like-tool (such as SIM) which is both way behind JIRA in
utility and usability as well as not public, so the rest of the world can’t
see the backlog or what work orders are or whatever. the development
process does not appear open, and this may contribute to the slow adoption
of mxnet.
a lot of us are also struggling with internal
ticketing tools which are kind of rude to use for non-critical problems,
IMHO and JIRA can help to alleviate these pain-points by having a place to
translate github issues to work items.

not sure how it could be considered arcane. compared to what?

github has issues such as you must be a committer to assign an item, as
well as other issues revolving around write access to the repository. in
addition, it’s a pretty feature-weak tool compared to JIRA both in
scrum/kanban/module/etc ways as well as reporting tools. github is still
useful for issue reporting, with JIRA being actual work-items (something
there is no public equivalent today)