Thanks for bringing this up Roshani.  To give everyone some background, I'm
working under the assumption that this is a blocking PR.  I'm updating the
PR to reflect the requests from Steffen/Eric.  I'm also trying to make a
few small refactors that should make it impossible to affect non-TRT users.

That being said I'm not sure there's a strong desire from my (or the other
contributor's) perspective that this goes into the 1.3 release.  What we'd
like to prioritize is that we have some quick iterations between reviewers
and contributors, and that we get this merged into master as soon as
possible so we can make follow-up PRs/improvements.

I would actually disagree with Hagay's last point (the Con).  I think so
long as we get this into master we'll be able to provide some convenient
methods for interested users (pip packages and Docker images).  So I'd say
this is a non-issue.