Well, I am not sure(I don't think) we need Builder for every API in
NDArray. For APIs that take long list of parameters, I agree to add Builder.
Look at the API distribution based on number of arguments here:
https://gist.github.com/nswamy/2dea72e514cc7bfc675f68aef9fe78bb
about 30 APIs have 7 or more arguments.. I agree to add Builders for these
APIs not separately but to the existing Scala APIs but not separately only
for Java.
APIs sorted by number of arguments is here, take a look :
https://gist.github.com/nswamy/e941cb94658b3960eec40bf00b970ac5

Many of the arguments i think are actually mandatory but incorrectly
declared optional on the backend, for example look at SwapAxis
"def SwapAxis (data : NDArray, dim1 : Option[Int] = None, dim2 :
Option[Int] = None, out : Option[NDArray] = None) : NDArrayFuncReturn"
Why is dim1 and dim2 Optional, this is an error in the declaration on the
backend, I think there might be many of these?

My answers to your other responses are below inline:

On Sat, Sep 29, 2018 at 3:37 PM YiZhi Liu <eazhi....@gmail.com> wrote:

> Some of my comments inline:
>
> > Why can we not create the builder just for these APIs( which we
> discussed), why is it necessary to add 200 Apis
> It is about unified user-experience. And we get rid of annoying extra
> "out=null" in every operator.
>
> > Are you suggesting to create builder for each and every API?
> Only for those are necessary. For NDArray.XXX, yes.

I think this is a ridiculous list of Builders, I think we can keep the
'out' parameter

> 1) The NDArray APIs in question are not following functional style of
> programming, in fact they are just static methods defined on an
> NDArray object - so Scala users are not losing much by using null in
> place of None.
> You can create a implicit to maintain backward compatibility
> - I doubt implicit can work in such case from None -> null.

It is just writing getOrElse in your implicit, so it will work.
scala> implicit def optionStringToString(a: Option[String]): String = {
     | a.getOrElse(null)
     | }

2) It is adding 220+ APIs(I understand it is generated) for NDArray alone
> - As I explained how it can improve user experiences

I don't think we need to write builders for 221 APIs we have, may be for 30
or so. Uniform experience is good goal but it also has to be practical and
make sense.

3) this is adding another 100s of APIs unnecessarily, we are starting with
> NDArray but we can't stop there, we will have to do this for Symbol,
> Executor, Iterators, etc., .
> - This is a good point, actually I prefer not to make JavaExecutor,
> JavaIterators

What I was aiming is also users have the same experience across Interfaces
- now you are forgoing uniform experience, so like you said its all
trade-off and a good trade-off doesn't cause too much overhead/

> 4) I don't want to be fixing bugs and maintaining code in 2 places.
> - Type-safe parsing is shared. I think Qing is more qualified to comment.

It creates two different paths of code for Scala and Java - how is it going
to be shared. I am afraid we are going to make it more complicated than
necessary by duplicating code.

5) I want the cryptic code(# scala macros) to a minimum.
> - MXNet decides to do operator generation in frontend bindings. It's
> the developers' responsibility to understand the techniques they are
> using. Maybe not a so proper analogy - "I don't know RL / RL is hard
> to tune / ..." is not a reason for "I want to keep RL implementation
> in MXNet as a small part as possible"
>
> Now, this is a response I don't like. I don't know where you were going
with your analogy but know that it sounds condescending - I am going to
ignore(assuming good intentions) that and explain what I mean.
I here is I the developer/user who deploys MXNet code in production and
have to deal with the aftermath myself not you(MXNet developers).
>From your comment it occurs to me you probably have never been on
pager-duty. I have been on pager-duty both for the code I wrote and those
that was written by others and thrown over the fence.
If you get woken up by a beep at the middle of the night, that is not the
time to prove your intelligence. Its time to mitigate the issue asap for
that your code needs to be easy to follow, should follow well defined
patterns, etc., -- i don't need to give you a lecture.
IMHO It is extremely important for frameworks like Apache MXNet which are
used by others for their production to keep code simple and *cryptic code
to a minimum* and yes you(we - MXNet developers) are not answering the
beepers when your(MXNet) users deploy their code in their production so
make their life simple.

6) increased compilation time & bad developer experience - the time to
> compile has gone up quite a bit since we added the APIs last release on my
> 3 year old laptop already.. I think adding 400+ APIs unnecessarily would
> significantly increase build time and bad developer experience
> - I don't think increasing such a bit compilation time is a problem
> compared to bad user experience.

I am not suggesting bad user experience but to take a practical approach -
having a bad developer experience is not great either.

7) I want to keep the core of the framework to be in Scala - because it
> allows you to write concise code - Yes it has a bit of learning curve, not
> everyone needs to know. I would rather invest in solidifying the Scala APIs
> and add more features in Scala(RNN, Support GluonHybridizedBlock...there is
> quite bit of work ) - do you want to rewrite everything in Scala and Java.
> - I agree with "don't rewrite everything in Scala and Java", IMO
> JavaNDArray is the only one good to have. JShape, JContext, etc. are
> not so necessary.
>
> Either you go all Java or make accommodation in Scala code to work for
APIs so your users know what to expect(uniform experience across).