I too think separating committers from PMC is a good idea for your project
given the desire to grow committers and the concerns I have seen trying to
add new committers.  I saw at least one other mentor, Jim on this thread
too.

Is the plan to leave all current PMC members in the PMC?  If that is not
the plan, perhaps more discussion is required before moving on.

Assuming you feel the discussion is done, someone needs to start a vote.
This would be a procedural change as outlined on
https://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html

If I were doing it, I would announce on this thread I am starting a vote on
this matter tomorrow or some specified time.  I might even outline what the
vote will be.  This give people a chance to speak up if they think more
discussion is needed.  Assuming no more discussion, start a [VOTE] thread
on the dev list.

I am used to seeing [VOTE] and [DISCUSS] in the subject line of such emails
but I didn't find any official guidance on that.  Maybe it is a project by
project decision, I did find
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/EDGENT/Sample+process+emails.
I totally parsed right over the [Discussion] in the subject this thread but
I'll be on the look out for it in the future.

Thanks

Mike