On Wed, Mar 06, 2019 at 10:03:57PM -0800, Steffen Rochel wrote:
> I agree with Tianqi on "One approach toward building a more diverse
> community is to acknowledge the fact that we want to encourage interactions
> in the Apache way beyond our physical cycle." However, I disagree with his
> suggestion regarding "One principle to toward that is to encourage PMC
> members only nominate committers from other organizations" for the
> following reasons: [...]

I spent quite some time digging remembering that a similar topic had been
discussed somewhere at the ASF at some point in time with many whys, pros and
cons towards contributor employer diversity - finally found a long and winding
thread there:

https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/7a7412316ddbe1d43f5fb3d3703ea25a6b26e56de602e27e175785c0@1337815698@%3Cgeneral.incubator.apache.org%3E

There is one answer in there from Roy Fielding which has a similar story to the
one that you are describing, Steffen. My main takeaway of what was discussed
back then: "Diversity is only a warning sign that means we need to check for
decisions made in our forums and advise accordingly."

The questions I personally tend to ask myself: How easy is it to follow the
project from just subscribing to it's mailing lists (remember the "if it didn't
happen on the mailing list, it didn't happen"), get active, get involved, be
treated as a fellow project member and be voted in as committer and PMC member.

For a more condensed text on the topic of "ASF projects are made of individuals"
you might also want to check out the ASF guidelines over there:
https://www.confluent.io/apache-engineering-guidelines/
https://www.confluent.io/apache-guidelines

Related material was published at ApacheCon :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFNE0IpKOxU

There's also lovely content that was recently produced over at dev@community:
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/183nXPAxpJymQBOYOt1FnFaahRcQskIvOyIvHRC6UAnE/edit#slide=id.g4a86a2ca5a_0_69

Isabel