I can recall that we had quite a few issues where people tried to use
amalgamation. Have we identified these use cases so far and documented the
alternative.

I think the compilation only takes a few seconds and I think we also have
some nightly tests for it. So far it seemed very low maintenance, so I'd
lean towards keeping it. But if there's literally nobody using it and it's
no longer useful, I'm happy to see it removed.

Do we have some data on amalgamation usage?

-Marco