If we replace the official CPU build, won't there still be new dependencies
so it is not even guaranteed to work depending on whether the user has the
dependencies (e.g. libgfortran) installed? I think there is also a
performance degradation if we remove mkl.

But, we could still have a third-party build. I can try to redo the builds
and release it on behalf of Amazon. Those builds can contain the full
dependencies and supported environments (CPU, GPU, OSX) and are not
restricted to Apache's license policies. Users will only have to update
their dependency group IDs and they will get the same functionality as they
have now.

As Apache, we will only officially support JVM by building from source.
Then, we just mention where to find the Amazon convenience builds while
clarifying that they are not official Apache builds.