Here is my take ...  We all agree on the meaning of the "affects
version" field meaning the version reported against.  So there always
needs to be a "Nightly" version to reflect problems with the lastest
and greatest source code.

The "fix version" field has traditionally been used (by MyFaces) to
mark the version the bug was *actually* fixed in.  So historically we
have been marking things fixed as nightly and then right when we
release (or at the point of a branch) we change nightly to the next
version number and add a new "nightly" version.

The release notes are also built of this scheduled version so IMO its
important to have the stuff marked as version x to be only what's
actually fixed in that version.  In theory you could change the ones
you don't fix back to "nightly" if they don't get fixed but that is a
*tedious* process that generates a lot of spurious emails.  (I'm
looking at setting up a custom email notification scheme for our
project btw that might cut down on some of this.)

I think it would be good to have a free text field for "scheduled to
be fixed: " and have it be editable only by committers.  We can then
create custom filters and reports in JIRA that essentially do what
Howard is trying to do here.  Ultimately I think 3 fields are
required: reported, scheduled and actual.  Since we are already using
the field in question for "actual" I think the new field should be
used for scheduled.

I also don't think its possible to have a separate version list for
the two existing fields so IMO its better to keep the non-existent
version numbers out of the list of choices presented to the average
user.

sean