+1

We basically decided on this a long time ago but not everyone is
following it.  Newer versions of JIRA (in use with Shale but not
MyFaces) also allows you to disable email on bulk changes.

At some point I will change the JIRA workflow so that you can not
directly close a feature (it must be resolved first.)  This will help
enforce the policy.

Sean