Hi M-

On 10/4/06, Martin Marinschek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi *,

I'm reviewing the tree2 currently, and I was wondering if we could
have a discussion about some of the concepts.

First thing I'd like to discuss is what happens with selected nodes.
Currently, selecting a node fires an action-listener. This is somewhat
ok, but I believe the selection-model of a tree should rather be a
list of values, stored at a useful place. Therefore, the tree should
implement the EditableValueHolder-interface, then we could do a lot
more with the values of the tree as well.

I am not really sure about the EditableValueHolder. In Trinidad the
Tree (UIXTree) is type of UIXCollection, which is also used by
UIXTable.

I remember some discussions from Sean in the past that they Tree2
should extend UIData instead of UIComponent(Base)

The change would necessitate to move the current "value" attribute to
some other name - I suppose the name "model" would be more appropriate

nothing wrong w/ using model instead of value, since value makes sense on
(editable)valueHolders to me...
(like UIOutput, UIInput, UISelect*,...)

anyways (I've never understood why a dataTable has a
"value"-attribute, by the way, the semantics for the value-attribute
are generally quite different).

I guess they just simply introduced that since there was a "value" of
(edit.)value:_holders

Additionally, the tree is doing a lot with respect to the markup of
the component. I'm not sure if this is useful as very large HTML-bases
result from this. I suspect it would be better to only transfer the
data-model to the client (and maybe templates for each node-type), and
then render the nodes on the client dynamically.

you mean sending "xml" to the client and using a JS_engine to render
on the client side?

-Matthias

Thoughts?

regards,