yeah, sort of.

there are currently (mainly for JSF 1.1) tons of "JSF-Bridges"
-Apache MyFaces Core (not Tomahawk ;-) )
-Apache Portals Bridges (they have that for old school struts as well)
-Suns RI has a module for JSF-Portlet integration
-,,,

so, this one "fixes" that.
It's a standard

javax. .... and just an impl (that does what the papers want (or tries ;-) ))

-M