Hi!
> Technically the answer is "no" for both questions.
> Well the pragmatical (and only reasonable) answer to the second
> question is "yes" in the JSF spec (comp. "required" for h:inputText).
> Therefore it makes sense to say "yes" to Q1 as well.

I think the difference here is, that if there was a file uploaded the
user HAD provide a file by using the file-selector or entered a path.
Means, the user made an action to upload a file - regarding to
"required" this condition has been fulfilled.

If the application needs something more than a zero byte file this is on
their responsibility then.

In contrast to the string ... you can't enter an empty string.

Ciao,
Mario