Hi!
And also ensure that every ViewState will be replaced and not only the
first [0] one.
When you do have multiple JSF forms (which is valid) each ViewState
needs to be replaced.
Yes, but only when they came from the same view!

I don't know much about JSF "portal bridge" stuff. Can this result in a
page contains a form that was rendered via JSF from host A, and a
different form that was rendered via JSF from host B?
I'd say yes. You might be right.
Don't know much about protlets either, but, I guess one solution can be to replace only those ViewState fields with the same value as the one associated with the form the component is embedded in.

Lets speak code:

var enclosingForm = findEnclosingForm(theComponent);
var oldViewState = enclosingForm["ViewState"].value;
for (form : forms)
{
       if (form["ViewState"].value == oldViewState)
       {
            form["ViewState"].value = newViewState;
       }
}

Or do any portlet have its own namespace reflected into the element id?
Then this could be checked too, though, this will be a portlet specific solution then.

Ciao,
Mario