Matthias Wessendorf schrieb:
On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 2:18 PM, Werner Punz <werner.p...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello everyone I wanted to start a legal discussion here regarding the
status of Mojarra and our codebase.

As far as I understood it is following.
The mojarra license prevents us from using their code, while they can use
ours, this is fine with me the Apache license is more liberal.

+1
(OT *and* a side-info: OpenJDK is using Apache Harmony code :-) )

The Mojarra and Apache license however do not prevent that we can have an
occasional look into the mojarra codebase to check things out which
are not 100% clearly defined, so that we are in sync there, or to prevent
external patches being applied which might have mojarra code inside (we had
that once in the past with comments copy pasted from the spec or mojarra)

Am I right or wrong?

not sure on the legal side, but I find it *is* critical to take a look
at such a code
base.

This is the question, not looking against the other codebase might introduce incompatibilities or errors might be overlooked,
just like I pointed out in the example before,
or even worse, external patches could go into the codebase which come straight from the mojarra codebase!

As far as I can see the way the bsd and linux guys handle it is that linux freely takes BSD code why the BSD guys dont have a problem looking at the linux codebase, but they never ever would copy any code from the linux side.

Werner