Andrew Robinson said the following On 1/4/2010 2:38 PM PT:

Andrew,

Thanks for commenting on this.
Why isn't UIXComponentBase caching the client ID?
Because of stamping and because I suspect that FacesBean would have complicated things.
 The JSF core
components already cache their client ID. Part of the spec. is that
setId() calls on the component clear the cache.
Can you point me to the section, where it says this? This behavior is not part of section 3.1.6 of the JSF 2.0 Specification (which is wrong anyway, as the behavior it describes would preclude the stamping implemented by UIData. And is it just me or do others think that it is backwards that the specification would actually tell the reader to look in the javadoc to find out what the specified behavior is?)

 In Trinidad, we must
recursively call setId on child components when indexes change
(tr:iterator, tr:table, etc.) so that JSF components function
correctly.
I believe this is an JSF RI implementation detail. I see nothing in the specification that says that calling setId() will clear out the current clientId even if the passed in id is identical to the component's current id. This behavior is also not exactly performant as each row change for any reason requires a walk of the row subtree to clear out the clientIds.
 Since we already have to do the work of clearing the cached
client IDs for JSF components, can we not take advantage of this for
Trinidad components? I would think that this would be a large
performance improvement.
We if we put in JIRA-1668--Speed up UIXComponent.getId(), we could, since that JIRA solves the problem of how to add programmatic logic to get/setId() as a side-effect. The issues then would be quality and some performance. The quality part would be double-checking that the StampState class (which implements the setId resetting behavior) is being used correctly in all cases (since we would only notice right now if non UIComponents were used) and checking whether we will have problems with tag implementations that bogusly call getClientId().

The two mechanisms are complimentary, but I would prefer not to make the api change if the caching change is good enough.

-- Blake Sullivan
Do you feel that your proposed changes would give us better
performance, or perhaps could we combine the two?

-Andrew

On Thu, Dec 31, 2009 at 4:23 PM, Blake Sullivan