No need to get defensive, I apologize that I must have been too tired
last night and I suppose that I should not have been replying to
coding emails in that state. The point that I was making, is simply if
JSF core, both Mojarra and MyFaces cache the client IDs in
UIComponentBase and clear that cache when setId is called and Trinidad
has to honor this behavior, whether or not the design of stamping
components in JSF is less than ideal (to put it nicely), then instead
of abstaining from this code, we could embrace it for performance
reasons. The code will not get slower as we are already traversing the
components to make JSF core components happy and the cached client IDs
in the Trinidad components should make things much faster as
getClientId is called a lot in JSF.

In summary I was simply proposing that we add a "private transient
String _clientId;" or equivalent to UIXComponentBase that is set in
the first call to getClientId and cleared in calls to setId() just
like in UIComponentBase and this way we avoid any breaking API
changes.

-Andrew