Hi,

Just a few ideas:

1) MyFaces 1.2 requires java 1.5 or later, JSP 2.1, JSTL 1.2 and a Java
Servlet 2.5 implementation [1] and I'm not sure, if Tomcat 5.0.28 provides
that.
2) JSF 1.2 uses the unified expression language, which also includes
javax.el.ValueExpression, so maybe you have to provide the implementation
for this manually (commons-el.jar) or there's a class loading problem that
causes the null value.

Another thing: You could try to run it with facelets. Maybe this will work
and help you solve your JSP problem.
Also using Facelets would not be that bad, because JSF 2.0 supports them
out-of-the-box anyway.

Regards,
Jakob Korherr

[1] http://myfaces.apache.org/core12/index.html